This 10 things meme seems to make its way around the internet every few years, I always mean to post and I always forget. Not this time. Here I present you with 10 things you might not know about me….
1. I met my husband when I was teenager when our friends set us up on a blind date. He was ridiculously late picking me up that night, but I forgave him. We’ve been virtually inseparable ever since. (And that was way back in 1994, when cell phones weighed pounds instead of ounces!)
2. The sound of a ticking clock makes me feel insane. I don’t know why, but it’s worse than fingernails on a chalkboard for me. The transition from face clocks to digital clocks in general has made me a much more mellow and happy person.
3. I don’t attach sentimental value to items and I keep very few items “just because.” If you forced me to, I’d probably tell you that this comes from the fear of turning into a hoarder. My maternal grandmother had a house full of stuff, mostly in the basement, she kept nearly everything.
4. I’ve worked in all sorts of jobs from fast-food restaurants to assembly lines, to telemarketing offices, and everything in between. But nowadays I work from home, and I have done so full time for more than 10 years now.
5. I use the number 719 online frequently (my personal Twitter handle is @retta719 and you’ll find me as retta719 or terrapin719 on several forums and message boards) so people always assume that July 19th is my birthday. It’s not. My birthday is December 27. July 19th is actually the anniversary of the blind date mentioned in item number one of this list. (side note: July 19th is also not our wedding anniversary – our wedding anniversary is September 26th.)
6. It is possible that I have a mild Dr. Pepper addiction. And I’m okay with that.
7. I think Santa is creepy. My kids have always known the Santa truth (and the Easter Bunny truth, and the Tooth Fairy truth,) but they have never once spoiled another child’s beliefs. They enjoyed pretending as much as any kid and they’re all pretty darn normal.
Our definition of Santa is the magic and spirit of the holidays that brings people joy and goodwill. Not that creepy dude sitting around the mall with candy in his pocket talking to little kids or that chubby guy with a big magic bag getting stuck climbing down the chimney.
8. I’ve dealt with depression throughout my life. There are several long periods of time that I have almost no memories of because I was so depressed.
9. I’m incredibly bad at being a girl sometimes; I can’t style hair, I can’t walk properly in heels, I think shopping is hard work, and a I am terrible at shaving my legs. I often joke that it’s a good thing I have all boys because I wouldn’t know what to do with a girl if she ever wanted to do girl things. But seriously, girl things are complicated.
10. I have a love/hate relationship with the color pink. I’ve never liked the notion that pink is for girls. I always preferred greens, blues, purples, and grays. Every now and then I’ll wear something pink on a whim, I’ve even had pink streaks dyed in my hair, but most of the time I stay far away from all things shaded pink.
…. and I also hereby declare that our Stitching Bloggers Blog Hops shall begin again starting today!
Go blog about your 10 things and come back here to drop a link to your blog post 😉
To participate in the blog hop you simply write a blog post on your own blog and then grab this code snippet to display the link widget on your own blog, this way readers can “hop” from blog to blog and see the various responses…